Australia’s public libraries provide quality information services that support lifelong learning, significantly impacting the cultural and information industry.
Save the date — 14 February, come and celebrate the library love with us at Armidale War Memorial Library.
The library has also evolved into a social space to meet, collaborate, research, learn, share and relax. At the library, community groups meet, workshops are taught, new skills are learnt, study groups can meet, games can be played, technology can be used to create, and in some libraries, you can even get something to eat.
Scenes from Armidale’s Library Lovers’ Day, 2018:
Here are a few facts about libraries in Australia:
- There is one public library service point for every 15,000 people and more than seven out of ten public libraries are open for more than 30 hours per week.
- More than 171 million items were lent to 8.6 million members of Australia’s public libraries and there were more than 112 million customer visits annually, that equates to more than 9 million visits per month.
- There are 203 university libraries, used by around one million staff and students every year.
- There are more than 9,000 school libraries and some 12 million people visit our National, State and Territory libraries every year.
- Behind the scenes, 2,000-plus special libraries provide services for business users, lawyers, health professionals, government officials and other information consumers.
Here’s what they say about libraries:
‘Your library provides access to information and resources which have been carefully curated, chosen because they are high quality and meet your needs. What’s more, your librarian has been specifically trained to help you find the information you want.’
‘They know how to search online, have access to databases and indexes that wouldn’t be practical to purchase and are familiar with the collection of resources that are available.’
‘Not everyone can afford to buy all the books or resources they need and want. They are free to borrow — whether that is an ebook, an audio book, a DVD, CD or some other resource. ‘